- Learn how to be a leader with a focus on quality and character
- Gain leadership competence necessary for success in college and beyond
- Explore personal leadership attributes relative to the ATHENA Leadership Model®
- Recipients are selected based on their level of national or global influence and leadership.
- Apply the ATHENA International leadership principles through experiential learning
- Map out a pathway for leadership growth in both college and career
- Build bridges across professional sectors and generations
Learning Outcomes for Participants
Benefits for Institutional Participants
Colleges and Universities will:
- Enhance the growth and development of campus leaders through an internationally recognized leadership model for the 21st century
- Identify emerging campus leaders for programs, memberships, board positions and awards through involvement with the program
- Engage with community members and leaders through mentorship, service and guest speakers in delivering the ATHENA Leadership Model®
- Partner with an international organization, ATHENA International
Who Should Attend?
Women students who are learning about leadership and those already practicing it through involvement in Greek organizations, student senate, housing, women and gender studies, etc.
ATHENA Leadership Model®
The ATHENA Leadership Model®, developed through a grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, was developed by leadership experts and based on surveys of hundreds of ATHENA Award recipients.
We know the value of emerging and transformative styles of leadership that are closely tied to the intuitive strengths that women bring to leadership. The ATHENA Leadership Model® captures these principles for application in contemporary settings, while acknowledging that they have been handed down from women to women across the world and over generations. In short, the ATHENA Leadership Model® meets the needs of emerging leaders and speaks convincingly to women leaders who will head the organizations of the future.
Grounded in research, the ATHENA Leadership Model® is based on eight core principles that inspire women to reach their potential: Authentic Self, Relationships, Giving Back, Collaboration, Courageous Acts, Learning, Fierce Advocacy, Celebration and Joy. These principles are also essential building blocks for success in today’s global society. The curriculum provides definitions of each of the principles, examples for gaining a deeper understanding and exercises so students can apply what is learned.
Three separate design formats have been created to provide participants with opportunities to engage in discussions around leadership, to explore their leadership identity and to connect with other faculty, staff, student and community leaders. Important to these design formats is the opportunity for bridging the theoretical constructs of the principles to actionable practice on campus and in the community. The design formats include: ATHENA Connections, the ATHENA Leadership Summit, and the ATHENA Book Club.
The implementation training allows ATHENA International to work with an individual or team to teach these principles and to gain understanding of the campus culture in order to help determine the best design models for implementation. In addition to the design formats that are presented, there is tremendous potential for application in a variety of other settings and these will also be explored. The training is three hours in length.